Pattern Testing

Home Forums Handmade For Dolls Pattern Testing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 482 total)
  • Author
    Peggy Stuart
    Participant

That’s good news! Maybe I need to make another twinset for someone, so I can test the pattern again.

Andrea Wood
    Participant

I am so excited! I’ve just digitized a pattern for the first time! I have the A Line skirt done and will sew it up, taking photos and writing up a tutorial as soon as I can. I will offer it for testing and then finally Peggy, we can put it out there with the twinset pattern.

I can’t promise exactly when I can get this tutorial done as we are physically moving to our new office either this coming weekend or the next, and I have to be there to help as well as having to pack and unpack. So it may be April before I can get it all finished and ready to offer, but from now on, I can do it all myself and never wait for anyone else ever again! Now I can get my patterns 100% done on my schedule.

😀 I am sure some bright young millennial could do it easier and faster, but this old dog can learn a new trick or two, and I think it compares well with other patterns that I’ve purchased. The real test will be to see how it fits once I’ve sewn it up from my new pdf.

Andrea Wood
    Participant

Yes, Peggy, I will find out the name of it and let you know as soon as I can. We purchased the program.

Peggy Stuart
    Participant

Is there a program Joe uses for digitizing the patterns? I would like to learn how, after drafting a few patterns by hand and then having to scan them in.

Andrea Wood
    Participant

Thanks for your comments everyone! My old white denim jacket had gold thread and my new one has white. I liked both, so thought blue would be fun, but you are correct, it does show every little wobble. I have a blue denim one cut out and will use gold thread on it and depending on how this one fits, decide what I want to do next.

One change I am making from a human jacket, is lining the pocket flap in a lighter cotton to reduce bulk and help get crisper points. I used white muslin for the white toile, and will use the blue print from my collection with the blue. I don’t have any chambray at the moment or I’d use that. I won’t get to work on it again for a couple of days unfortunately, and of course, I’m itching to get to it!

I’ve asked Joe to refigure out how to digitize my patterns for me. Hopefully he has saved the settings from the other ones and it won’t be too hard to do. I need him to get that skirt done!!!! and will want the jacket done up properly once I get it all finalized.

Ann Belcham
    Participant

I would do the top stitching in a pastel if I didn’t use white. It would be softer for what I have in mind. I don’t always use gold thread for blue jeans either. I will use blue thread. Sometimes it depends on the brand of jeans I think I am making.

All the white jeans I used for rodeo queens had white stitching so they would dye the same color as the jeans. When I made the girls’ jeans, I used the same color thread as the fabric so I would correct. In the end it comes down to a matter of choice. Are we monochromatic or are we doing something with a high or low level of contrast.

Pamela Elliott
    Participant

Peggy, I think I agree with you. I think the jacket would look great with the top stitching done in white. It would still show up but you wouldn’t see any wiggles in the stitching so clearly and it wouldn’t detract from the design and cut of the jacket either. I am not sure the contrast with the blue and white is too big and a bit distracting – but I suppose it is just a matter of taste. I think if I made a white jacket I would topstitch in white.

Peggy Stuart
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification, Andrea. I think it looks smart. I just have my doubts about sewing a straight line when topstitching. Maybe using a wash-out marking pen….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cute jacket, Andrea. I like the blue top stitching.

Andrea Wood
    Participant

Peggy, I used contrasting thread because jean jackets always have contrasting topstitching. Or at least the ones I am trying to copy. Gold for Blue and I’ve seen a few variations on white denim, but usually gold as well. I wanted blue to go with the collection I’ve been working on. For other coloured denim, I guess anything goes!

I have version 2.0 drafted up and copied to my computer so I don’t lose it, and I’ve even got it cut out! I had to take a break from it to do a few other things that needed doing around the house, but I hope to start sewing it either later today or Wednesday. I have to work tomorrow and have a family dinner tomorrow with my out of town brother and SIL who are visiting, so Tuesday is out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 482 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.